How Do I Know Who the Right GI Physician Is for Me?
A person's GI system is one of the most essential systems in the body because it is composed of critical parts, such as the esophagus, small bowel and colon, gallbladder, pancreas, and stomach. Problems in the gastrointestinal tract can affect the way your body gets proper nutrition and excretes stool. If you are experiencing worrisome symptoms associated with your digestive wellness, it is likely time to find a GI doctor in Indianapolis, IN. Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology is your source for expert gastroenterology treatment.
What is a gastroenterologist and what do they do?
A gastrointestinal (GI) doctor is a physician that concentrates on treating the gastrointestinal tract and liver. A GI doctor helps protect a person's GI health and handles issues, such as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (spastic colon)
- Fatty liver disease (hepatic steatosis)
- Colorectal polyps and colon cancer
- Heartburn (acid reflux)
- Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity and celiac disease
When to see a GI doctor
In the event that you are having issues related to your digestive system, including abdominal pain, trouble swallowing, persistent heartburn, or irregular bowel movements, then arrange an appointment with a GI practitioner as soon as possible. It is also essential to schedule regular visits with a GI specialist for routine maintenance and colorectal cancer screenings beginning as early as 45 years old.
How to locate the best GI doctor near me
Locating a physician can be an intimidating process, but our team at Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology is here to provide support. Check out some tips to find a gastroenterologist in Indianapolis, IN.
- Ask for a suggestion from your general care doctor. Because they're your first line of defense for any health conditions you face, your primary care physician is a helpful resource for local gastroenterologists.
- Ask your family or friends for recommendations. If someone you love also has digestive issues, they could steer you in the direction of a dependable GI specialist. Find out from your relatives and friends who they visit for their GI wellness needs as well as preventive cancer screenings.
- Search your insurance carrier’s system for a covered gastroenterology physician. To help keep your out-of-pocket expenses affordable, look through your insurance carrier’s system or call your coverage representative for a listing of nearby gastrointestinal specialists.
- Check your gastroenterology doctor’s training. Prior to setting up a visit with a GI physician, do some investigation on their specialties and credentials. Determine where they acquired their education and how long they have been in practice. Also, explore patient feedback to find out what others have shared about their experience with a certain GI doctor.
- Arrange an appointment. Once you have simplified your search considerably, get in touch with your preferred gastrointestinal physician and arrange an appointment. When you visit your physician, pay attention to the way they communicate and how you feel. Finding a specialist who emphasizes your comfort and safety can allow you to feel comfortable when obtaining treatment.
Need to locate a GI specialist in Indianapolis, IN?
Working with a qualified GI professional can allow you to support your gastrointestinal health and overall wellness. The doctors at Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology utilize a patient-first method to GI wellness and are dedicated to your well-being, security, and all-around wonderful visit. You are encouraged to get in touch with our team in Indianapolis, IN today to book an appointment.