Steps to Follow For Every Colonoscopy
7 days before
Most people will not need to do anything differently this far in advance of a colonoscopy. However, review you medications with your doctor and ask for specific instructions if you take blood-thinners (like Plavix or Pradaxa).
3 days before
Stop eating nuts, seeds, and popcorn.
2 days before
Drink 8 glasses of water during the day and stop eating after midnight.
The day before
- Begin a clear liquid diet, in addition to drinking 8 glasses of water during the day.
- At 6pm, you will need to take the laxative preparation prescribed by your doctor according to the specific instructions.
- Stay near the toilet after you begin taking the prep solution.
Day of your exam
While some of the colonoscopy prep solutions are only taken the previous day, others will need to be repeated the morning of your exam. The instructions for each solution are below.
- No smoking on the day of your procedure
- Take any morning medications at least 3 hours before your exam with 4oz of water.
- Stop drinking liquids 3 hours before your exam.
- Bring a list of all your current prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Arrange for a ride to and from the doctor