Gallbladder Disease in Indianapolis, IN
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
Your gallbladder stores and releases bile to assist in the digestive process. The term "gallbladder disease" pertains to an array of issues and diseases that have a negative impact on the gallbladder. These involve:
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder becomes inflamed in the absence of gallstones.
- Gallstones: Solid, stone-like particles that can occlude the path to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Ongoing damage and inflammation to the bile duct system that causes scarring.
- Choledocholithiasis: A situation where a gallstone is lodged in the exit passageway of the gallbladder. In the event this occurs, the gallbladder could become inflamed.
- Cholecystitis: An inflammation of the gallbladder usually caused by gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder can diminish in size and lose the capability to release bile.
- Biliary dyskinesia: Hindered gallbladder function.
In the event you develop a gallbladder condition like any of those listed above, we urge you to have an expert GI provider help you through your treatment. At Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology, our team can make certain you get the services you need. To find care for gallbladder disease in Indianapolis, IN, please reach out to our team to request a consultation.
What are the causes of gallbladder disease?
Most gallbladder problems are caused by the development of gallstones, which form when cholesterol and other substances in liver bile coagulate and form hard, crystalline pieces. A person also might have tumors that inhibit the bile from emptying properly, blood vessel issues, or infection. Whatever the reason behind your gallbladder disease, you can find experienced treatment at an Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology location in your community. Our providers can assess your gallbladder issue and help you determine the most ideal path for care.
What are common symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Common signs of gallbladder disease can include:
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Pain that spreads to the right shoulder or back
- Significant abdominal pain, especially in your center or upper right abdomen
If you notice one or more of the worrisome gastrointestinal symptoms listed above, reach out to an Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology provider without delay to request a consultation.
How is gallbladder disease treated?
The optimal approach to minimizing your risk of gallstones is to maintain an ideal healthy weight, lose weight gradually (if recommended), and maintain a healthy way of living. A number of gallbladder diseases can be detected through a simple ultrasound. In some instances, your provider may order additional imaging such as an MRI or CT scan. When treatment for gallbladder disease is needed, recommendations often involve:
- Fasting (to give your inflamed gallbladder to rest and diminish inflammation)
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Medications to dissolve gallstones
- Pain relief medication
If you or someone you love need treatment for gallbladder disease in Indianapolis, IN, let our experienced team help you understand your options for care.
Trusted care for gallbladder disease
Gallbladder ailments, including cholecystitis, biliary dyskinesia, and gallstones, can be monitored and treated by a skilled gastrointestinal specialist at Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Should you experience distressing symptoms associated with your gastrointestinal health, then it is important for you to connect with an experienced gastroenterology physician in your area as soon as possible so that you can be evaluated for problems such as gallbladder disease. As a physician-led group of GI providers, our practice is well-equipped with the latest treatment solutions for individuals experiencing gallbladder disease. To find an expert gastroenterologist who can help treat your gallbladder disease in Indianapolis, IN, please call a location near you today.
Couldn't have been better. Five Star in every way. Covid protocol in place and very professional.
Dr. Opinion treated me very well and was very informative on my results. I would highly recommend him to all my family & friends.
Friendly, quick, and informative. Recommended me good options and scheduled me for a procedure that went great. Would recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Jacobs & his staff took such good care of me!!! The nurse that checked me in was so kind & gentle!!!
Everyone made me feel very comfortable and at ease. It was my first collonosopy and I would recommend dr. Roberts to anyone.