Hemorrhoids in Indianapolis, IN
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, also called piles, are inflamed veins near the lower rectum or anus. The condition typically occurs in the event that the vein walls in the anus or rectum come to be so thin that the veins protrude or bulge. Hemorrhoids can present internally (within the rectum) or externally (on the anus).
Hemorrhoids are quite common. As a matter of fact, close to three-fourths of adults will experience hemorrhoids from time to time. In some instances, a blood clot will grow inside a hemorrhoid (knowns as a thrombosed hemorrhoid) and may result in discomfort or pain. The board-certified GI doctors at Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology are experts in helping patients with this common condition as well as other gastrointestinal (GI) problems. To receive care for hemorrhoids in Indianapolis, IN, please reach out to our providers at your earliest convenience.
What causes hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are likely to be attributed to many things. Causes of a hemorrhoid can include:
- The natural aging process
- Chronic constipation
- Excessive strain during bowel movements
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
- Excessive strain when performing physical activity (such as lifting weights)
- Genetic history of hemorrhoids
- Chronic diarrhea
What are the symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Symptoms of piles vary because of the location of the hemorrhoids, but commonly include:
- Discomfort and/or swelling surrounding the anus
- Itching around the anus
- Purple, pink, or blue bumps that protrude near the anus
- Bright red blood in one's stool
- Pain during the passing of stool
- Pain near the anus while performing physical activities
How are hemorrhoids treated?
In some cases, mild cases of hemorrhoids may heal on their own after a few days. Your Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology gastroenterologist could choose to prescribe medications or recommend at-home remedies to alleviate the irritating symptoms of hemorrhoids. When larger hemorrhoids occur, however, professional intervention is available in Indianapolis, IN, and may be required to remove or treat the hemorrhoid. Common hemorrhoid treatment includes:
- Ligation using rubber bands
- Treatment of constipation or the primary cause of the hemorrhoids
- Draining a clotted hemorrhoid (thrombosis)
- Maintaining a clean anal region
- Tub baths several times a day in warm water
- Avoiding the use of dry toilet paper
- Applying topical cream
- Ice packs for reduction of anal inflammation
- A high-fiber diet
Contact us todayFind A Provider Find A Location
Prompt treatment for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids typically don't lead to serious health concerns, but they can still be uncomfortable and interfere with your quality of life. If you are needing assistance with treatment for hemorrhoids in Indianapolis, IN, our doctors are ready to help. We encourage you to contact Indianapolis Gastroenterology and Hepatology today to schedule a consultation with a gastroenterology physician.
I had an amazing experience nice manners very nice nurses and doctors
The care was wonderful, everyone I encountered was nice. My experience was very good.
I would definitely recommend this place to the other people they are smart they know what they're doing and they are very courteous
I’ve been very happy with the care I’ve gotten with Indy Gastro. I would recommend them to anyone with issues.
Dr was absolutely fantastic. I would highly recommend them. Amazing experience.